How was your Christmas? Crap? Be honest. Mine was ok. Got some good pressies. It was a family oriented one (as they usually are) - New Year is the piss-up time for me. I saw the "Grumpy Old Men" show on BBC2 on Christmas day (one of a series, I think) and totally sympathised with some of the points made about the tackier/lame Christmas traditions. Like:
- Buying a Christmas tree that's several foot too large for the destination room and having to hack the top off; thereby losing the gradual tapering towards a tip, and requiring several hours to place enough decorations around to cover up the mess.
- Turkey for Christmas. No, actually this is fine. It's the turkey for boxing day, the day after that, the one after that.... that gets depressing.
- Christmas pudding that has to be lit no matter how much brandy it takes; this usually takes ten minutes to accomplish and uses half a bottle, leaving one very strongly flavoured, crispy, blackened, char of a pudding.
- Rushing into town on boxing day to grab stuff in the sales. Boxing day should be a day to chill out/recover/relax at home or with friends.
- Drunk relatives regailing you with stories from their youth (that you've heard a thousand times before anyway) before collapsing in an alcoholic stupor on the sofa for the rest of the afternoon.
- The absolutely abysmal Christmas chart no.1. which has nothing whatsoever festive about it.
- A complete lack of snow on the day itself, but all the cold, windy, and wet weather to go with it anyhow.
There were a tonne more but I can't remember them all. Luckily I(we) didn't suffer from any of them this year. Apart from maybe the no.1 single.